Community Affairs Committee
This parish committee organizes programs that help provide for broad-based assistance within our parish and in the community at large. It is one of the oldest organizations in the parish holding its first meetings when Masses were celebrated at South School and the bowling alley.
To reach out in Christian love to the needs and concerns of our community. The Ministry is focused on our parish and community, but also responds to those in need throughout our country and the world.
Long standing projects of the Community Affairs Committee include:
- Organizes and runs the Christmas basket program (our largest endeavor) which provides Christmas gifts and food to needy families in the area. Last year St. Mark’s assisted 75 families with food and gifts.
- Allocates monthly donations to the Poor Box which benefit local charities, Derry’s Sonshine Soup Kitchen, The American Red Cross, NH war veterans, Our Place and Emily’s Place among others.
- Prepares salads and desserts monthly and serves meals 5 times /year at the Sonshine Soup Kitchen
Additional projects vary depending upon community needs but recently Community Affairs:
- Recruited walkers for the Crop Walk sponsored by Church World Services and raised over $600 for the poor here and in other countries
- Collected cans of soup on “Soup”er Bowl Sunday weekend to benefit the soup kitchen.
- Collected and sorted men’s clothing to benefit Liberty House a residence for homeless veterans
- Conducted a women’s clothing drive to benefit Makeover Ministries which serves the needy in the Manchester area.
Our group needs volunteers to assist with this vital ministry. Please consider attending one of our monthly meetings, held on the first Monday of the month in the Cry Room at 7:00 p.m. New members and fresh ideas are always welcome.
Contact: Dianne Zdankiewicz